Sally Trueman, from Calm and Content Baby Massage, is trained in baby massage and baby yoga. She is passionate about helping mothers and babies through the first year. These are perfect activities to add for both your and your baby’s sensory nourishment. Rhiannon and Briony are big advocators for getting out of the house and taking your baby with you – a Baby Yoga class would be perfect for this. Baby massage is a great way at dialling down a baby and adding that soothing stimulation that babies often crave.
Sally has kindly written a piece for us on the benefits of Baby Massage and Baby Yoga.
Massage and yoga are practical ways of communicating love and affection to babies
What is baby massage?
Baby massage is a special, nurturing experience for both you and your baby. Massage offers a unique way for you to both bond and connect through positive touch. Learning baby massage is a skill for life. It gives you tools and techniques to use at home anytime of the day or night. It also allows you to really tune into your baby and completely give them all your love and attention.
Some of the many amazing benefits include:
- Baby massage can improve sleeping patterns.
- Baby massage can help to stimulate the nervous system which aids coordination and sensory development.
- Baby massage can help ease discomfort associated with colic, wind and constipation.
- Massaging your baby will enhance your bond and connection.
- Baby massage relaxes both parent and baby.
- Baby massage can provide parents with more confidence.
- Baby massage gives you an understanding of babies non-verbal cues.
- Baby massage can provide pain relief for teething and sinus through specific strokes and the release of endorphins.
What is Baby Yoga?
Baby yoga is a fun and interactive experience for both you and your baby. Baby yoga includes stretches and poses for baby, yoga inspired poses for mum, warm up and breathing techniques for mum, dry massage for baby and swings/dips and walks. We include songs for language development. In a Baby Yoga class babies vestibular (sense of balance) and proprioceptive systems (body awareness) are stimulated through balances, swings and dips.
Benefits of Baby Yoga include:
- Baby yoga helps soothe and settle babies through a variety of holds and poses.
- Baby yoga develops flexibility, encourages postural control and increases body awareness.
- A baby yoga class allows you to spend special time with your baby.
- Baby yoga includes gentle stretching to encourage the body to heal after pregnancy and boost wellbeing.
- A baby yoga class will provide you with some breathing and relaxation techniques to use at home.
- Baby yoga can help relive colic through a variety of stretches.
- Baby yoga encourages language development through the use of songs.
What can you expect at your baby massage or baby yoga class?
- Classes are baby led and relaxed: if baby needs a cuddle or feed this is absolutely fine!
- Meet local parents in a supportive nurturing environment.
- Learn skills for life and techniques and poses you can do at home.
Baby massage and baby yoga classes provide an opportunity for you to create precious one on one time with your baby. Creating special memories for you both.
Calm and Content Baby Massage offers a range of classes from small groups, one on one sessions, mother’s groups and also online options to learn from the comfort of your own home. Classes are in various locations south of Adelaide including Seaford, McLaren Vale, Victor Harbor and Mt Barker.
by Sally Trueman