At Adelaide Mums and Babies Clinic we are able to walk women through the early stages of their pregnancy, even if that means that pregnancy is not for them at this time. Many of us are MS2STEP accredited, meaning we can provide Medical Terminations of Pregnancy.
We understand that this decision is never easy and we are able to discuss and counsel women in regards to their decision around their pregnancy. We support all choices.
The process involves:
- Counselling to ensure the decision is the right one for you, and to check that medical termination is a safe and appropriate option.
- Confirming how far along the pregnancy is with an ultrasound. (The pregnancy must be under 9 weeks since the last menstrual period in order to be safe to consider medical termination). This also confirms that the pregnancy is in the uterus, and not an ectopic pregnancy. In some circumstances, may be able to perform an ultrasound ourselves rather than needing to refer to a Radiology Company and this will be discussed with you at booking.
- A blood test for the level of the pregnancy hormone on the day the medication is to be taken.
- Education about what to expect once the medication has been taken including when to seek emergency care if needed.
- A follow up appointment 1-2 weeks later to ensure the process has been completed. A blood test at day 6 will be required.
Please call our clinic to book in to see a qualified doctor to oversee this process for you.